Dear Readers!
It is nearing the anniversary date of Lindsay's death. For those who don't know, Lindsay was my husband of 22 years when he passed away. We were separated for 12 of those years and divorced for 6 months. He had recently remarried (6 weeks) and life was as per the norm. We had become friends over our many separated years and kept in touch regularly about many things, one of which was our daughter. We knew that he was terminally ill, but was completely blindsided when he passed away several months before we thought. The cause of his death was liver cancer.
Today I attended a funeral of the sister of one of our church members. I did not know her and have not known the church member very long as she is new in our church. However, as Lindsay once said, you can attend a Baptist church funeral not knowing anything about the deceased and leave knowing them completely. Today was pretty much like that for me...I learned that the woman was the parent of one child, only sister to the member, had two really close friends, left parents and many relatives and loved ones behind. She was considered a real trooper through out her illness, a fighter and a person who had placed all her faith in God and his ability to bring her through this illness. She too scummed to cancer.
I spent a great deal of my day at church helping set up for the repass, sing in the volunteer choir, serve at the repass and help with the clean up. When I got home, I was completely exhausted and ate dinner and laid down to relax. I then thought to post a blog and opened the computer to do so, finding yet an article about an retired NFL linebacker who lost his wife today after being married for one month. She scummed to cancer. He wrote such glowing words about her and the strength she displayed.
He said: "Not just an inspiration, but a light, and a force that led the way with a beautiful, sweet smile and bright shining eyes that both belied the pure steel of her strength and determination. Strong is too pale, too shallow and too small of a word to describe her vibrancy… Quite simply, she was ferocious. She fiercely held onto life, and love with a forcefulness that was absolutely awe-inspiring and completely breathtaking."
These were some of the characteristics that Lindsay displayed during his illness; the same was said of the woman today. It all got me to thinking about life and how unpredictable it can really be. In many ways it made me look at death today as not a end, but a beginning. It is such a mystery to the world and something that people don't want to talk about. Oh yes, we all know that we are gonna experience it at sometime or other, never really wanting to know the "when". As a believer, I believe that it is the beginning. Our faith in God gives us the strength to not be afraid and to embrace it when our time comes. We know that our spirits will be taken while our earthly bodies will perish. We know that it is the spirit that will live forever. What a nice thought...forever! Forever in God's terms is a very long time, and to think that we will have the joy and peace promised forever is a wonderful thing.
We also know that we will continue to "live" through our loved ones. I can't tell you how alive Lindsay has become in my memories, thoughts and sometimes speech. I am amazed that the reality of the loved we shared shines through even after four years. Although grandma has been gone for more than 30 years, I still speak about her all the time, keeping her alive, even through this blog, which is dedicated to her. So I say live life to the fullest and create all the positive things you can while you are passing this way; you too will be kept alive!!

I agree with Lindsay! For all the world, attending a funeral may seem an emotionally daunting task a first glance. Nonetheless, the home going service of a Christian leaves one feeling empowered by God and inspired by the saint at rest and at home with God. There has to be a heaven for us to all meet and reunite in; one in which to see God in ALL His Glory! Though this life has its many riches and splendor, there has to be SO much more He has for us in our next home! Hallelujah!
ReplyDelete